Here are few examples of how someone can move from Non IT Industry to IT Industry
Scenario 1: Someone with a degree in English Major wants to move into IT programming job
If you want to move from a X industry or domain to computer science then you need to be cautious and plan it well. Here are few key steps...
1. First recall why you did get into English Major, what was your initial goal? Is it not relevant anymore?
2. As suggested by most folks, getting into computer science should start with learning. So do some research and join some good programming course.
3. Finding jobs related to programming might not be easy as there is competition out there. So allow yourself more and more time to practice programming and also practice giving interviews (the more your fail the better you become for the next interview)
4. You may also want to marry your capability in English to Computer Science by looking for opportunities in technical writing, training/ teaching, business analysis etc.
Scenario 2: Someone with an MBA and working for a Bank wants to move into IT
For reference: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26401_01/nav/financials.htm here you can find user guides and implementation guides on Oracle Financials R12
Scenario 3: Someone working in Manufacturing Industry wants to move into IT
Make sure you are careful when you do the switch, consider following points:
(1) How will you gain knowledge on SAP/ Oracle Apps/ Any other ERP Solution?
(2) If you are learning it on the job, that is great.
(3) If you are going to learn by joining some course/ institute then make sure they provide enough hands on training and potential job opportunities.
(4) ERP is world where domain knowledge helps a lot. So if you have some background in manufacturing industry then SAP may suit you. Or if you have background in Finance domain then Oracle might be better suited.
Other than SAP and Oracle there might be other options available as well so do your due diligence and research before you take the next step in the right direction.